Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mike's Beer of the Week

Beer Information
Brewery: Troegs Brewing Company (PA)
Beer Name: Nugget Nectar
Beer Style: Imperial Amber Ale
Abv.: 7.5%
Serving Glassware: Pint Glass, Stein
Serving Temp.: 45-50 deg. F. (BeerAdvocate.com)
Local Availability: Table and Vine (Not yet, but expect a new shipment soon - call)
Pairings: Cheese (Sharp, Bleu, Cheddar), Beef, Chicken

www.bigbeefandbeer.com
Mike's Ratings (1-5)
Overall Grade/Rate: A/4.5
Appearance: 5
Aroma: 5
Taste: 4
Mouthfeel: 4
Drinkability: 5
BeerAdvocate Avg. Rate: A/4.34

Mike's Description
Finally.......! I have been going to Table and Vine twice a week and calling them once a week for the past two months merely to ask about the availability of this beer...and it came...but now it's gone!!!!!  Table and Vine received 22 cases (1 case = 24 bottles) of this amazing beer and within 8 hours of arrival, only 6 were left! Fortunately, I was able to obtain one... It will be back, so have no fear and make sure to call Table and Vine to find out when the next shipment is arriving...there will be more.

Appearance - This is one of the most beautiful beers I've ever seen. Completely translucent and perfectly amber. Light to moderate head and not bad head retention. Lacing is nothing to brag about here. Despite the large amount of hops used "93ish IBUs," this beer is not cloudy at all.

Aroma - This is definitely a highlight of this beer; hoppy fruity whiffs in your face. Extremely strong aroma out of the glass and in the bottle.

Taste - 
This is the best amber ale that I've ever had...probably because, like most people, I'm a hop fan. I wouldn't say 93 IBUs...more like 75ish, but perhaps that's the freshness I'm tasting (no date on the bottle or case). In addition to the bitterness, the malts are very noticeable. Slight woody notes, but mainly an active fruit flavor (citrusy).

Mouthfeel - 
The sweet fruity citrusy flavor lingers and it is complimented by the hops to create a wonderfully balanced beer. Wonderful aftertaste.

Drinkability - 
Despite being 7.5% abv., I would probably drink a six pack of this at one time...it's just so damn good.

1 comment:

  1. My wonderful step-son Aidan recommended this beer to me over a year ago. He was 17 so I wonder how he tried it? Mike????
    Anyhow, he hyped it up so much that it had become number one my list for a long time. I finally had the fine people at Lighthouse liquors in EL call me to let me know it was in and so here it sit, enjoying my first Nugget Nectar. It was worth the wait. Probably the best IPA I have had. I love hops but I don't like when the taste lingers too long. This beer is perfect because all the hops come at the front end and the aftertaste is woody. Great recommendation Aidan!
    Now on to Kentucky Brakfast Stout.

    ReplyDelete